Cable TV Service Questions
- What is a Digital Receiver?
- Can I get digital services on all TV's?
- Will Charter Communications install extra outlets if I'm a renter?
- Do I need to get a new TV to enjoy Charter TV® in Digital?
- What is HDTV?
- What HDTV programming does Charter Communications® offer?
- What do I need to get Charter HDTV?
- If I get Charter HDTV-capable receiver/decoder, can I watch HD programming on my regular TV?
- I already have an HD television. Do I still need Charter's HD-capable receiver/decoder?
- What is Charter DVR?
- Will I need to purchase any special equipment to use the Charter DVR product?
- Can I watch one program and record another?
Digital Television FAQ
What is a Digital Receiver?
A Digital Receiver is a piece of equipment that converts digital programming to an analog format so it can be viewed on a TV set. Services included with a digital receiver may include a Universal Remote, high-definition programming, DVR, etc.
Can I get digital services on all TV's?
Digital receivers must be installed on all of your TVs. You can choose between a standard, high definition (HD), and high definition digital video recorder (HD/DVR). Applicable charges may/will apply.
Will Charter Communications install extra outlets if I'm a renter?
Yes, but you will need to obtain written permission from your landlord authorizing Charter to install/move outlets at your direction. Additional charges may apply.
Do I need to get a new TV to enjoy Charter TV® in Digital?
No. Our technician will install a digital receiver so you can view the digital services on your TV.
What is HDTV?
High Definition Television (HDTV) is a type of Digital Television (DTV). DTV sets receive and display digital images. HDTV is digital television that combines extremely high resolution with Dolby Digital® 5.1 Channel surround sound. HDTV provides a crisp, sharper image due to the increased number of pixels the digital signal puts on screen; the higher the number of pixels, the sharper the picture - and HDTV has the highest resolution available. HDTV screens are wider than they are tall, providing a panoramic view, similar to a movie screen. This allows you to see movies as they were filmed without reformatting. There are also HDTV-capable sets that look like regular televisions, but provide HDTV formatting in a letterbox presentation (with black bars on the top and bottom of the TV image).
What HDTV programming does Charter Communications® offer?
Charter offers approximately 100 HD channels in many areas we serve. Available channels may include the following:
- Local affiliates ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, CW
- Independent, local HD broadcasters
- Discovery HD
- ESPN HD
- FOX Sports Net
- Universal HD
- Wealth TV
- PPV events in HD
- *HBO HD
- *Cinemax HD
- *Showtime HD
- HDNet & HDNet Movies
Note: Channel availability varies by location.
*You must be an a premium subscriber to each of these
What do I need to get Charter HDTV?
You will need an HDTV set and a Charter HD-Capable digital receiver and decoder. You will also need component video (RGB) cables and audio cables to connect this equipment which are available in our Charter HDTV Activation kit.
If I get Charter HDTV-capable receiver/decoder, can I watch HD programming on my regular TV?
No. You must have a High Definition television or HD-capable television.
I already have an HD television. Do I still need Charter's HD-capable receiver/decoder?
Yes. You will need the Charter HDTV receiver that includes a decoder to receive the HD programming.
What is Charter DVR?
Unlike a VCR, Charter DVR allows you to relax and enjoy more entertainment with features such as…
- Seamlessly record your favorite movies, shows, and live sporting events at your convenience
- Access your live, recorded and On Demand programs all in one place
- Schedule a recording of a regularly occurring show so you don’t miss an episode just because you weren’t home or forgot to set the recorder
- Continue watching live TV while recording up to 2 another program on a completely different channel!
- Pause and rewind live TV
- Record standard or high definition programming
- Store up to 100 hours of recordings depending on DVR model and type of programming being recorded
Will I need to purchase any special equipment to use the Charter DVR product?
No. Once you order a Charter Communications DVR box and have it installed, you have everything you need.
Can I watch one program and record another?
You can watch one program while recording another or you can record two programs simultaneously while watching a previously recorded program. This is because a Charter DVR contains two built-in tuners.